Based on your weight, height, age, and simple tape measurements, the following calculator estimates your % body fat and lean body mass (i.e. anthropometric measurements). Skinfold measurements alone tend to underestimate body fat percentage in obese and extremely lean individuals (particularly with low hydration levels). The following calculator is based on equations that are useful for people in these groups as well as those who have loose skin after losing a lot of weight. It is usually accurate to a few percent. It has also been shown to be reasonably accurate with drug-free, genetically typical bodybuilders.
- Age – Your age is expressed in years.
- Height – your height when you are not wearing shoes
- Waist measurement – measure around your waist at your navel and also halfway between your navel and the bottom of your sternum, and take the average of these two measurements – this is your “Waist” measurement. Stand tall, but don’t suck your stomach, or your estimation will be off.
- Iliac – measure around where your upper pelvic bones protrude the most (on either side of your waist/hips).
- Hips – take a measurement around the hips at the point where the buttocks protrude the most.