The simplest definition of salad is mixing different types of vegetables, which is eaten with salt, oil, vinegar or lemon juice, but these days this definition is no longer suitable for salad, because now other types of food are added to salad, and for this reason this Appetizer needs a new definition and classification.
Classification of salads:
Salads are divided into 6 groups in today’s cooking:
Green salad: or garden salad, which is the simplest member of this family and uses limited vegetables such as lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, and cucumbers.
Vegetable salad: It is related to green salad, but it has more detailed contents and includes mushrooms, onions, sprouts and sometimes cooked vegetables such as grilled bell peppers and boiled green beans.
Bound Salad: which literally means closed salad. In this category, raw and cooked vegetable salad along with hard-boiled eggs and various types of meat are used along with a large volume of thick sauces such as mayonnaise, and pasta salad, chicken salad, and first course salad are its most famous members.
Food-Salad (Main coures Salad): It is a combination of vegetable salad with a variety of grilled or cooked red and white meat, beans, cheese and fried bread, which is actually considered a complete meal. Caesar salad, Greek salad and Niçoise salad belong to this family.
Fruit salad: fresh chopped fruits or compote served with cream, honey, chopped nuts, cocoa powder and coffee, and with the name of the salad, it is eaten as a dessert or snack.
Salad dessert: which is the newest member of the family and is more popular in the United States and is a combination of jelly, cookie, cake, cream and dried fruit. Its most famous members are pistachio salad and Snickers salad.
– Tomato is used in most salads and its red color gives a beautiful contrast to the salad. It has many varieties and besides being appetizing, it also disinfects the digestive system.
– Types of chicken, meat, fish and shrimp that are fried or grilled after being seasoned and used in the salad, turning it from an appetizer to the main meal and playing a major role in increasing the protein and calories of the salad.
– Slices of bread flavored and fried in a mixture of oil, spices and dry vegetables decorate many salads. The combination of olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and dry mint is the most familiar taste with this delicious bread.
– Many believe that raw mushroom destroys the body’s iron and it is better not to use it in salad, but its countless fans have made it to be used in many salads. The unique feature of mushrooms is that they do not contain sugar and fat.
– Salad without sour seasoning is almost meaningless. Lemon juice and sometimes vinegar are the staples of salads and are also used in mixed sauces.
– Its sweet taste and beautiful color make it used in most salads as a decorative and flavoring vegetable. Carrot is one of the most famous anti-cancer vegetables and has low calories. You can also use grated carrot or its juice to color the salad dressing.
– Cabbage is one of the first plants used by humans and has a large and diverse family, and its anti-cancer property is well-known. Cabbage is considered a strong virus killer and besides preventing the accumulation of fat in the veins, it is a rich source of calcium and vitamins C and K.
Boiled legumes such as beans, peas and lentils are popular worldwide and are sometimes added to salads. Beans are rich in fiber and although they are low in calories, they are very filling and are considered a good choice for diet salads.
– When the name of salad is mentioned, one unconsciously remembers lettuce. There are many types of lettuce, but formal or Roman lettuce, lettuce, red or French lettuce are the most famous. It is rich in vitamins, iodine, calcium and phosphorus and helps digestion.
Source: Sib Sabz magazine