Guide to Omega 3 Supplements

Omega-3 fatty acids are important for good health. The best way to get enough of it is to eat all omega-3 saturated foods like fatty fish. If you do not eat enough fatty fish, you may want to take supplements. Although hundreds of different omega-3 supplements are available, not all of them have the same health benefits. This is a detailed guide of the section Nutrition Dr. Salam gives you everything you need to know about omega-3 supplements.

There are several types of omega-3s:

Fish oil comes in both natural and processed forms. Processing can affect the shape of fatty acids. This is important because some types are better absorbed than others.

  • Fish: All parts of fish contain omega-3 fatty acids as free fatty acids, phospholipids and triglycerides.
  • fish oil: In traditional fish oils, omega-3 is mostly present in the form of triglycerides.
  • Processed fish oil: When fish oil is processed, and purified or concentrated, it is converted to ethyl ester, which is not found in nature.
  • Modified triglyceride: The ethyl ester in processed fish oil can be converted back to triglycerides, which are then called modified triglycerides.

All four of these types are good for your health, but studies have shown that the absorption of omega-3s from ethyl acetate is not as good as other types.

As a general rule, the absorption of omega-3s in the form of free fatty acids (mostly found in foods) is 50% higher than that of triglycerides, and the absorption of triglycerides is 50% higher than that of ethyl esters.

Natural fish oil and its omega 3 content

This type of oil comes from the fatty tissues of fish and is mostly in the form of triglycerides and is the closest thing to real fish. Natural fish oil contains different nutrients. About 30% of this oil is omega-3, while the remaining 70% contains other fatty acids that can help absorb it.

In addition, natural fish oil contains vitamins A and D. If fermented, too Vitamin K2 It will.

Salmon, sardines and cod liver oil are among the most common natural sources of fish oil. These oils are usually found in liquid form and are more resistant to oxidation than processed oils.

Processed fish oil and omega 3

Processed fish oil

Processed fish oil is usually refined and concentrated, which converts it to ethyl ester. Removal of contaminants such as mercury and biphenyl removes chlorine bridges (PCBs). Concentration can also increase EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acid levels. In fact, it contains 50 to 90 percent pure EPA or DHA.

Processed fish oil makes up the majority of the market because it is cheap and usually comes in the form of capsules, and this type is very popular among consumers.

The body does not absorb processed fish oil as well as natural oil because it is in the form of ethyl ester when processed. Some factories recycle this oil to convert the ethyl ester to a better absorbable triglyceride.

These oils as triglyceride Called modified (or re-modified), are the most expensive type of fish oil supplements that make up only a small portion of the market.

Krill oil and its omega 3 amount

Krill oil is extracted from Antarctic krill, which is a small shrimp-like animal. Its oil contains omega-3 in both triglycerides and phospholipids.

Numerous studies have shown that omega-3 phospholipids in fish oil are absorbed as much as triglycerides in fish oil, sometimes even more.

fish oil It is highly resistant to oxidation because it naturally has strong antioxidants called acetaxanthin. In addition, due to the fact that krill is very small and has a short lifespan, so it can not accumulate many pollutants during its life. Therefore, its oil will not need to be processed and is rarely found in the form of ethyl ester.

Natural fish oil and its omega 3 content

Green lip oyster oil

Green oyster is native to New Zealand and its oil is commonly found in the form of triglycerides and free fatty acids. In addition to fatty acids, EPA and DHA also contain ETA. This rare type of omega-3 fatty acid will be effective in reducing inflammation even more than other types of omega-3. Consumption of this oil seems to be compatible with the environment.

Mammalian Oil

Mammalian omega-3 oils come in the form of natural triglycerides. In addition to EPA and DHA, it also contains DPA, a rare form of omega-3 fatty acid that has many health benefits and is extremely low in omega-6.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button