Preoccupation with penis size is a common finding among men. Many men, especially young men, are concerned about whether their penis size is normal or not
Many men mistakenly think that their penis is small, while in most cases this is the case and their penis size is normal.
The average length of an erect penis is 10 to 15 cm. The size of the penis in the relaxed state may have more differences between men. This means that a man’s penis, which is apparently larger in a relaxed state, may not become much larger in an erect state, and on the contrary, a small penis in a relaxed state, may become much larger during an erection.
The second problem in some men is that even though the measurement shows that the size of their penis is normal, they still feel uncomfortable with its small size, in this case, a psychiatric diagnosis may be considered: “penile deformity disorder”. A recent study shows that the majority of men who seek surgery to enlarge the penis are suffering from this condition. These people are often the least satisfied with the result of the operation.
1. Vacuum pump: It is one of the usual methods that are advertised to enlarge the penis. The man inserts his penis into a cylinder connected to a pump that sucks air. The vacuum created in this way draws more blood into the penis and straightens it and makes it a little bigger. Then, by putting a tight ring at the end of the penis like a tourniquet, blood is prevented from coming out of the penis. In fact, vacuum pumps have a real medical use: helping men with erectile dysfunction or erectile dysfunction, but these pumps do not have a consistent effect on penis size. When the ring is removed, the length of the penis returns to normal. These pumps may cause side effects such as temporary erectile dysfunction, skin blisters, bruises, ruptured blood vessels, and discoloration and thickening of the skin. The ring should not be placed around the penis for more than 20 to 30 minutes, because its longer use may eventually lead to tissue damage to the penis.
2. Exercise, weight and other equipment: First of all, you should know that by doing exercise, you cannot make the penis bigger like the muscles in the front of the arm. The penis is not a muscle. Also, devices are available in the market which, by connecting to the penis, put it under tension for up to 8 hours a day. The risks of these methods include the possibility of tissue tearing, damage to veins, bleeding and other problems.
3. Pills, supplements and creams: A variety of creams containing various herbal medicines such as yohimbine (which is sometimes advertised as herbal Viagra), ginseng, etc. are also sold for penis enlargement. These products also have no effect on penis size.
Unlike the methods mentioned above, surgery can enlarge the penis, but surgery also has its own risks and its results may not be as expected.
A study in 2006 showed that surgery can increase the length of the penis by an average of less than 2.5 cm. There are two main methods for penis enlargement:
1) cutting the ligament connecting the penis to the pelvic bone, then subjecting the penis to daily tension,
2) Removing fat from other parts of the body and injecting it into the penis to bulk it up. These surgeries have their own complications and the person may not be satisfied with the result.
A study in Europe showed that out of 42 men who performed these operations, only 35% were satisfied with the result of the operation, and 50% of these men wanted re-surgery.