Store-Bought Ketchup Promotes Weight Gain And Is Full of Artificial Additives. Here’s How To Make Your Own.
If you’ve got ketchup in your fridge or cupboard, throw it out! Store-bought tomato ketchup is full of high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), and artificial additives and flavourings that your body simply doesn’t need.
You might be familiar with Heinz ketchup, which is loaded with HFCS (at least, this remains true if you live in the states – I have never seen ketchup in Canada that contains HFCS, but still contains ridiculous amounts of sugar). HFCS is extremely unhealthy and toxic. It acts like a sugar in the body when its metabolized, but because it comes from genetically modified corn, it is even more toxic. HFCS can lead to obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and a weakened immune system. It contains high levels of Mercury, an extremely toxic heavy metal that can affect the brain, nervous system, and can even lead to autism in children (1).
Distilled vinegar is also something to steer clear of. It is created from genetically modified corn, which is grown with toxic pesticides and chemicals. Not only that, but most tomatoes grown and produced for ketchup (if it isn’t organic) are sprayed with pesticides and herbicides. Tomatoes are on the “dirty” list in terms of pesticide exposure, so purchasing only organic tomato ketchup, or making your own, is highly suggested.
Homemade Tomato Ketchup Recipe
The homemade tomato ketchup recipe below should keep in the fridge for at least 2-3 weeks.
– 3 cans organic tomato paste
– 1/2 cup organic white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
– 2 tbsp. coconut sugar or raw honey
– 2 tbsp. molasses
– 1 tsp. garlic powder
– 1 tsp. onion powder
– 1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
– 1 tsp. dried oregano
– 1 tsp. mustard powder
– 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
– 1/2 tsp. celery salt
– 1/2 tsp. himalayan sea salt
– pinch of all spice and cinnamon
– 1 cup water
1. Place the ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender and blend well. Put in the fridge overnight to allow flavours to enhance (or if you can’t wait, do at least 2 hours in the fridge).
2. Use as you would regular ketchup.