Treat Gout and Arthritis with this Inflammation-Busting Pineapple Turmeric Drink
If you’re looking for a natural way to treat gout and arthritis, look no further. This inflammation-busting pineapple turmeric drink is one of the strongest gout and arthritis healers on the planet (and for good reason too!).
Most of us know what arthritis is, but what is gout? It is also an arthritic condition caused by swelling of the joints that pops out of the blue and can be extremely painful.
The good news is, is that that gout can actually be reversed (and arthritis, too), as long as you make some diet and lifestyle changes and include healthy juices such as the one mentioned in this recipe.
Gout is caused when crystals of uric acid (a natural protein waste product) form in the joints. Foods with high levels of purines produce more uric acid, so this includes protein-heavy foods like almost all animal products (red meat, dairy, eggs, fish (herring, sardines, mackerel, anchovies)).
One of the best ways to rid arthritis and gout from your body is to consume a plant-based diet, rich in plenty of raw fruit and veggies, and reduce caffeine and alcohol intake. Being sure to not overeat, getting in plenty of water each day (at least 3 litres per day), partaking in joint-friendly exercise like rebounding, swimming, yoga and walking, and getting enough sleep (8 hours or more) will totally reset your body and improve the inflammatory state.
So why is this drink so beneficial? Here are the ingredients, and why you must consume them if you have gout or arthritis:
• Pineapple: pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain, which helps relieve strain-induced gout and arthritis. Bromelain causes the uric acid crystals to decompose, and therefore relieves the pain associated with gout.
• Mango: mango is great at reducing inflammation in the body. Studies have found that mango polyphenols help lower blood sugar and fight inflammation.
• Lime: high in vitamin C, lime is a main player in reducing inflammation. The high vitamin and mineral content in limes helps strengthen the tissues around the joints. The citric acid in limes is also a solvent of uric acid, which is the main compound that actually causes gout in the first place – so limes quite literally rid the body of gout.
• Coconut Water: coconut water is another great remedy to release uric acid in the joints and help mineralize and de-inflame the body. Asian herbalists use this as a remedy for gout.
• Turmeric: a study done in China and published in 2009 states that turmeric has been shown to inhibit chronic inflammation, so it may help gout suffers because it can reduce the activity of xanthine oxidase, the enzyme involved in the production of uric acid.
• Ginger: aside from helping your digestion, ginger also helps reduce the level of inflammation in your body. Gingerols and shogaols in ginger have been found to help patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis with their mobility, pain and swelling.
• Parsley: this incredibly alkaline herb acts as a natural diuretic that helps your body flush out excess uric acid. The chlorophyll in parsley is also great for helping balance pH levels in the body, which is great, because people with gout and arthritis usually have a lower pH (more acidic).
Be sure to drink this juice daily if your pain levels are extremely high. To maintain a pain-free body, consume 2-3 times a week.
Inflammation-Busting Pineapple Turmeric Drink Recipe
– 3 cups ripe pineapple
– 1 cup mango
– juice of 1 lime
– 1 cup coconut water
– 3 inches fresh turmeric root (or 2 tsp. turmeric powder)
– 2 inches fresh ginger root (or 1 tsp. ginger powder)
– optional (and recommended): 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley
Stick all of the above ingredients in a blender, like the Vitamix, and blend for 30-60 seconds or until smooth. Enjoy!