The problem with most store-bought granola is that it’s packed with refined sugar, low quality oils and less-than-natural additives. While it’s easy to make your own, most granola recipes contain oil. The problem with oil is that when you heat it, it oxidizes and becomes rancid and toxic.
This particular recipe is not only oil-free, but it’s also sweetened with ripe banana and is free of refined sugar.
This granola is crunchy, delicious and packed with nutrients. It’s an amazing addition to smoothie bowls, morning porridge, ice-cream, pudding or other desserts.
Crunchy Oil-Free Granola Recipe
Yields: about 1.5 cups
– 1.25 cups rolled oats
– 1 overripe banana
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
– 2 teaspoons chia seeds
– 1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries
– Optional add-ins: pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, walnut halves, coconut flakes, sliced almonds, etc.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mash the banana with a fork in a small bowl. Add cinnamon and cloves, and mix in well.
3. Add rolled oats and mix well until they’re coated with mashed banana.
4. Spread the mixture evenly onto baking sheet (making sure it doesn’t get crowded) and bake for 22-28 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure to watch carefully not to burn it.
5. Gently toss/stir at the halfway to break up the clumps.
6. Remove from the oven and let it cool on a baking sheet.
7. Once it’s cooled, mix in the seeds and raisins.
8. Store in an air-tight container.